To preserve and protect the dignity of the computer programming profession,
As much as I can and as long as I can decide, I promise:
- I will not generate malicious code.
- The code I produce will always be my best work. I will not knowingly allow the accumulation of code that is flawed in behavior or structure.
- With each release, I will produce fast, reliable and repeatable proof that every element of the code is working as it should.
- I will make frequent, small posts so as not to hinder the progress of others.
- I will develop my creations fearlessly and relentlessly at every opportunity. I never humiliate them.
- I will do everything in my power to keep myself and others productive as high as possible. I will not do anything to reduce this productivity.
- I will constantly make sure that others can take care of me and that I can protect them.
- I will produce honest estimates of both magnitude and precision. I make no promises without certainty.
- I will never stop learning and improving my craft.
You may not hear a computer programmer say this directly orally. But it is useful to record it as a hidden oath in itself 🙂